Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel moment frame at roof ridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben29

Structural
Aug 7, 2014
US
Please see attached sketch. I want to make the tube steel moment connected at all joints. Is this even possible given the steel size and configuration? Should I just say "provide full moment connection at flange and web" and let the steel detailer figure it out? I don't want to show a connection that isn't possible. Thanks for your help.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=271be583-0834-4cc3-8ac7-943698943a00&file=MOMENT_FRAME.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can't just weld them together and call that a moment connection. Think of how the force in the flanges get through the joint. The usual method is to weld both members to a plate. If it has to be a full moment connection, you probably need backing bars. Leaving it to a detailer may work, but probably not.

Some engineers just call that a miter joint, but I would be more specific. Full CJP welds all around. Since the 12x6 is slanted, they can line up all 4 sides with the 6x6 tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back