Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Plate Girder - Shear Tension Field Anchorage

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarthJ

Structural
Dec 7, 2006
CA
I'm checking a steel plate girder for shear. The code indicates that the tension field in a transversely stiffened plate girder is not normally anchored at the end panel so Ft=0. If the beam being checked is framing into the side of a larger girder with a double angle web connection would the tension field be considered anchored?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably not. To make a go of it:

1) the double angles would need to work as vertically spanning flexural members resisting the horizontal component of the tension field and;

2) the connections between the web, double angles, and girder flanges would all need to be able to handle the force transfer.

You might be able to work something out with reinforcement but I doubt that you'll have what you need as is.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back