Steel Section Properties 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kxa

Structural
Nov 16, 2005
US
Hi,
I am trying to find section properties for an I-Beam that looks like a S section with tapered flanges with d=27" and b=10.125"
The flange thickness goes from 0.68 to 0.96 inches.

My guess is that the building is about 70 years old. A quick search of historical data wasn't much help.the S sizes go up to 24 inches only.

Can anyone direct me to any other publications or references.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you check the AISC website database for Historical Shapes? You could also draw the beam in AutoCAD and then, with MassProp, get the section modulus and moment of inertia. It may not be exact but, for a shape that old, any tabulated properties may not be exact either. How exact do you really need to be?

Yes, I did. I'll check again. I don't have access to Autocad but maybe able to use IES Shape Builder program. Eventually,I need to show the section designation on the plans.

Based on those dimensions it would closely match a WF 27 x 10 from either ASD6 or ASD5. The Flange Thickness is ASD6, don't have a copy of ASD 5, is the mean thickness for sloping flanges, have an old hard copy of ASD 6.

asd5_qcnouv.jpg

asd6_okkey5.jpg

Open Source Structural Applications:

I was thinking standard beams and channels used a 1:6 slope on the tapered flange, which would give quite a bit more variation that what you're measuring. That's closer to a wide flange profile than an S-shape profile.

Thanks. I also estimated the section to be close to a W27x102.

You see, this was one of the sections. I have another that is not as easier match as this one.

It has a d=18" and bf=11.875" with tf=o.71 to 1.09"

The edge of flanges taper quickly to zero.

Great. Much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, is the database program you are using available to everyone or is part of a different/structural program package?

Cet83,
In your last response you indicated you would be posting the shapes database program but haven't seen it yet. Anyway, I have one more set of dimensions for an I-beam which I can't find a good match for. Perhaps you can help.

The measured dimensions are as follows:

d = 20"
bf = 12"
tf = 0.73"

Thanks

Cel83,

Thank you for posting the program. It worked very well and does save a great deal of time.
Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back