Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Shelf Angle Thermal Break

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTSeng

Structural
Jan 21, 2003
US
6 stories, composite floors with brick clad exterior (metal stud back-up) in a cold climate. We're detailing a brick shelf angle at each floor welded to the edge pour angle and/or beam. Done this many times in the past successfully but this architect wants to have a thermal break on the edge angle so the steel inside doesn't sweat from condensation. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Consider bolting the shelf angle to the bent plate and providing a korolath plate as the thermal break between the two.
I've done a similar detail for beams going from outside to inside and provided an endplate moment connection with the korolath plate, but never for a brick shelf.
Maybe the bolting detail is no good because you can't use slip-critical bolts with a korolath plate (I don't think you can anyway).
Where in the detail is it transitioning from outside to inside? That is where you want the thermal break.

Would not the flashing on the shelf angle provide the required break between the brick and the structure? I have never seen any kind of break between the shelf angle and the supporting structure, and don't think it is desirable.

I agree with Hokie66. I have done many buildings like this and never had a thermal break. Many times the angle is welded to metal stud panel and the panel is bolted to the pour stop.

Agree with the above.

I do brick cladded office buildings pretty regularly (architects in this part of the world seem to love brick), and I have never done, or seen, a thermal break between the brick shelf angle and the structure.

I think your architect is over thinkingthe problem.

I have done many office buildings in cold climate without thermal breaks. I try to minimize the number of connections back to the structure from a cost standpoint and this will help limit the cold transfer issue.

Once in awhile you will have an inexperienced architect requesting a thermal break without understanding the structural ramifications. I know of no way to accomplish the thermal break without jeopardizing the structural integrity.

I've used bolted connections with Micarta plate as a thermal break in alaska before. I used the coefficient of friction between Micarta and steel and designed the connections as slip critical. Thermal breaks are fairly common in industrial buildings in the far north.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back