Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Stack Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVaughn

Structural
Jul 11, 2012
US
Hi all,

I am attempting to design an unlined steel stack that is 87.67' tall and has an outside diameter of 4.37' with a wall thickness of 1/4". The stack is braced latterally at three points. Please see the attached screenshot for clarity. I am trying to design it through the use of the Structural Engineering Handbook by Edwin Gaylord Jr. and the ASME STS-1-2006 Steel Stacks standard. Neither of these references go into detail on how to design a stack braced at multiple points. Does anyboday have any experience with this and how to deal with vortex shedding and ovaling for braced stacks? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shaylon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Vortex shedding is usually handled by helical strakes. I have also seen straight strakes laid out in a step pattern. It is my understanding that the design of them is something of a black art, but if someone has a reference, I would be interested in hearing about it. I have been able to ascertain that they are triple-start and approximately 45° inclination from observation of others work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back