Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

steel weight estimate 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjhubo

Structural
Jul 29, 2003
CA
Does anyone here happen to know for a gross estimate, what is the average steel material weight per square foot for a typical single story grocery store building, including all the joists, beams, and columns?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have designed 40,000+/- SF grocery stores composed of open web steel joists, girders, beams and columns. (That particular file is not currently "at-hand".) Currently I am working on a church with similar framing and spacing. The two projects would not differ much due to use of facility.

For the current church project, considering STEEL FRAMING ONLY, open web steel joists, wide-flange steel beams (No open-web girders) and HSS steel columns, in reference to the DL-ONLY, I come up with a range from 15-20 psf. This is an estimate!

This DOES NOT INCLUDE roof live loads, roofing material dead loads, HVAC or other mechanical, finishes, etc!

Assuming you are talking about the roof framing for a single storey building, and assuming nothing is out of the ordinary, you might consider the following:

Columns 1 lb/ft2
Beams 1.5 lb/ft2
OWSJ & bridging 2.0 lb/ft2
Deck and trim 2.5 lb/ft2

for roughly a 30'x30' panel and 20' height... increase as necessary for seismic, larger panel, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back