Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steels ASTM A6 and A20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2005
HN
Hello everybody:

In the book "Buried Steel Penstocks", 2nd Edition 1998 by Steel Plate Engineering Data - Volume 4, appears that the steel plate for penstocks is manufactured to two standards, ASTM A6 for structural use (ring girders, stiffener ring, lugs, etc.) and ASTM A20 for pressure vessels (pipe shells of large diameter).

I have made a search in the bibliography related to steel standards and it has been impossible, so far, ascertain what equivalences today match with those materials.

I will very much appreciate any input to this enquiry.

El que no puede andar, se sienta.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go to ASTM and search there.
They are both giving common requirements for steel plates for pressure vessels and structural work (still used today) such as A516 and A36 respectively, among many others.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's not safe ... make it that way.

Manufacturing items to two (or more) specs is very common with pressure vessel/piping compoenents in my experience. Often any given item will have a "dimensional tolerance" spec along with a "material" spec. ASTM A6 is more of a "dimensional tolerance" spec and is very common for structural steel to this day. I would bet that the ASTM A20 is more of a "material" spec that covers the metallurgy, mech properties, etc.

A-6 defines the general requirements (shape dimensions, variations from flatness, variations in plate width, etc.) for rolled structural steel bars, plates, shapes and sheet piling covered by the materials listed under 1.1 therein; e.g., A-36, A-131, A-572, etc.

Similarly A-20 defines the general requirements for steel plates used for pressure vessels. Per 1.1 it covers a group of common requirements covered by the materials listed therein; e.g. A-285, A-515, A516, A-387, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back