Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stelliting? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranekiran

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2002
IN
Dear all,

what is a stellite?Is it a separate alloy material or Does stelliting mean some form of welding the base material for corrosion protection?

I would greatly appreciate any response.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I beleive the material is cobalt chrome or chrome cobolt alloy. I used it in the Navy for rebuilding valve seats.

The filler metal was applied using SMAW, GTAW and OAW.

I think the name is a trade name from Stoody.

Good Day

Gerald Austin

Thanks pipewelder,

I wanted a confirmation whether it is used for valve seats.Do you know exactly what type of valves and what type of seating are stellitised?

thanks once again.

Our shop uses a stellite coating to prevent erosion on some parts (seal plate revolving in water). As well as build up on lots of valve seats / disks for the petroleum industry.
Ralph

Well!,

By all the responses I would guess that stelliting is done where the seating has a metal to metal contact.

Now,what about the media's (say,water) temperature?Is it always high (say more than 200degrees)or perhaps there is a relation between the stellitised seat and the temparature?

Thanks to all!

Stellite was also used in Navy valves for superheated steam, up to 1275 Psig and 975 degrees F. The valves did seat metal to metal. As pipewelder indicated, worn valves were routinely refurbished by weld build up and machining.

Blacksmith

Stellite or tungsten carbide are used often on metal to metal seat & gate/ball/globe interfaces to ensure sealing contact area does not wear. No real rule of thumb but, the hotter or the more corrosive or the more erosive or the higher the pressure, the more likely it is to be used.

Haynes alloys including Stellite (R), Talonite (R) etc. are very wear, chemical and generally corrosion resistant. They are also much more expensive than steel so a significant use is to build something from steel, such as a saw blade, and then tip it with the Haynes alloy.

Tom

Stellite is also used on the business edge of forging trim dies, applied using oxyacetlylene torch and freehand ground to fit the forged part. It's used on new trim dies and also for repair. The trim dies need to be continually refit as the forging dies wear and the part grows. This may not be the latest materials and methods.

Mike

Many years since I encountered Stellite but as said by strokersix, a Carburising Oxy/Acetylene flame is used when depositing Stellite, pre-heat/post-heat of the part to be built up is advisable if of any size. Multi pass runs may be needed to build up a given thickness.

For some more information on this product and all its applications, please contact Deloro Stellite on 10793 498500. They may be able to assist.

Happy Trails,

Jeannie

Some time ago I had a job at an oil refinery in a polythene plant in Spain, they used stellite in a lot of parts to prevent erosion , in machines with severe use, such as extruders, mixers, stirrers, valves and so on.

Stellite gave us a lot of problems in severe conditions and high temperatures, and many manufacturers told us it was an old solution for such services, and that now they recommended other materials like Tungsten carbide or many other alloys, applied using plasma coating that gave better results. We contacted a shop who made some tests with some parts and provided much better results.

After this I moved to another job

Best regards

Antonio

Stellite can be used as a base material in valves or as a welded overlay on most carbon steel, stainless steels and exotic stainless steels. However there are problems on welding onto 6 mo material as cracking may occur during cooling. Stellite welding is regularly used in valve seats and also onto discs or plates.

I need to apply a coating to some parts of a meat grinder used for a saltwater fishing application (making chum). The entire unit is stainless except for the blades and the plate at the mouth of the grinder that the ground fish pass through.

The reason I wish to do this is to prevent corrosion of these parts. I priced out getting them nickel plated and it was $100 for that service. I do have a oxyacetylene torch and No. 6 Stellite rods. I have had these Stellite rods for twenty years but don't know how to use them.

I did some searching on the web and found that inhaling fumes from this process would be hazardous to my health and that I need to use a three times carburising flame. I don't know what a "three times carburising flame" is.

Do I need to use a flux (I don't think so)? Another concern is that I might make the parts not fit onto the grinder after I finish the application because the coating might not be thin and also not uniform.

Can I heat up a pot of stellite similar to melting lead and just dip the parts in to coat them?

My other choice is to heat up a pot of brass and coat them with that.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back