Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stent crimping: Convert Cartesian Force into Radial Force in Abaqus (History Output)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bj3245

Bioengineer
May 16, 2024
ES
Hello,
I have modelled a stent crimping and obtained the Force vs displacement curve for each cartesian axis (by applying History Output -> Interaction). Now I would like to transform these 3 coordinates into the radial component. Can I do it in Abaqus? Because with visualization or field output it works, not for HIstory Output. If not, do I have to simply do sqrt (Fx^2 + Fy^2) for each timestep? I am sorry for the stupid question, I am quite a newbie in Abaqus :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a few ways depending on how the model is set up and what forces you can utilize for your purposes:
- use Create XY Data --> Operate on XY data and enter a proper formula (of course, you could also use Python scripting to achieve that)
- request history output in local CSYS (uncheck Use global directions for vector-valued output) if the nodes already use it for BCs/forces
- transform field output to local CSYS and then get history output from it (Create XY Data --> ODB field output)

Thanks for the answer. Since I used the interaction module to extract the force Abaqus doesn't allow me to use local coordinates (just if I use set). Could you explain just theoretically what would be the workflow to write in Python? It should be an integration all over the surface, or just the sum up of the cartesian coordinates? To be complete, here it is the Abaqus file, if you want to have a look. Thanks for now.

You only requested CFN1. If you request CFORCE (field output), you will get CNORMF which is a normal contact force. Since your model is cylindrical, it should be a radial force, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back