Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Step-by-step design guides or text books 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ipetu

Structural
Jun 5, 2007
Kindly let me know if there are any design guides or text books that show step-by-step designs for a single storey residential building i.e. including all details from the foundation to the roof.

I am also seeking design guides or text books for single storey commercials structures in steel, wood etc. It is proving difficult to find a guide / book that goes through every single detail of the design process.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The reason it is difficult to find a design guide that goes through every single step in the design process is that each project is different.

While general design guides are beneficial, it seems as though you are asking for a quick and easy solution to a potentially complex issue. Unless you have sufficient education and experience to apply a design guide, you can get into some real trouble.

There are no shortcuts to the process of learning structural engineering and applying its principles. Hopefully you have mentors available who can guide you to help develop your career. Design guides, however detailed they might be, will not do that.

Good luck.

Search on "Single Story Residential Construction for Dummies"

Bet you don't get many hits.... of any use...

As noted - there are just TOO many things to consider. Simple roof truss construction is NOT simple. I spent 15 years doing it and would still learn a thing or two from day to day!!

You might start with reading the IRC code - it covers the "codes" and gives you a starting point from which to start.

Just before I submitted this - I did do the search I suggested... way more hits than I would have expected... So try it??

csd72, a2mfk,

Thank you. I offer you my sincere love and friendship. Your respective posting's have motivated me to seek harder for what it is that I am after. One thing to remember is that your respective comments are not those that I have come to expect from Engineer's. Perhaps there are better ways in which to represent a respectful profession such as Engineering. Thank you once again.

Kind regards,

Ipetu

p.s. Thanks to those that have posted responses already. Thanks in advance for those that will post in the future.

SEAOC and ICBO publish their seismic design manuals. Those go through a lot of step by step instructions for various buildings (steel, concrete, wood).

Of course, they don't cover EVERYTHING from foundation to roof. But, they do cover quite a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back