Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Step file import question. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobaltred

Automotive
Nov 19, 2011
US
I imported a STEP file of a plastic beer mug (to be injection molded) that I designed in Solidworks into NX 8 and it shows up as a body in the design tree with a red cicle with a slash through it.When I select it the
whole mug highlights even though I am pretty sure it is made up of a bunch of suraces.Is there a comand to explode this Body into separate surfaces? In Rhino the command is explode.
This would be considered "dumb" geometry I think,Right?

Thanks as always. Buddy.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may want to see what happens when you do a Parasolid export from SW and into NX instead of STEP. You may get a better result.
Yes it is dumb geometry.
Is there a command to explode the body . . . not that I know of, but try the unsew command and see if that does what you want.

Hi,
You don't say which version of NX you are using, but I would look to the Insert | Associative Copy | Extract (Face/Region of Faces) command (if you need to be selective?) and pick the faces you are interested in.

NXherbie
NX7.5/Tce2007

In the earlier version of NX I am using, the STEP import utility provides a switch to "Sew Surfaces Automatically"... perhaps this was "ON" when you performed the import. This would Sew the surfaces together and form a resulting Solid Body, if the surfaces formed a closed volume, I think?

As noted before, the preferred transfer of models between Solidworks and NX the is parasolid format, then you don't need to worry about the quality. ( -unless it was poor in SW...)

anyhow, if you place the cursor above the mug, then wait for the quickpick dialog before you click and it will note "solid body" or "sheet body" as the last line.
The same principle applies to all dialogs where there is a selection step involved, for example the Information - Object.

If it is a Sheet body and you want to see what's missing, Use Analysis - Examine Geometry - tick the Sheet Boundaries option -select the sheet body ( not the faces) perform the analysis and then tick highlight results.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back