Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Step import problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MojoJoJo1967

Industrial
Dec 6, 2003
GB
Peeps.

I have a major problem with importing .Step files into Solidedge as assembly documents.
The files open and most of the components come in but there are some items that are missing. Some of these components are there but not shown, others are just not there at all.

My main reason that this is flagging up as an issue for me and that Solidedge is the problem is that when I import the same files into Solidworks 2004 or Inventor 7 there is no problem - all the components are there and the assembly is complete as it should be.

I am unsing SE v15 with Sp1 and hoping that someone has a solution.

Mojo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SE has a bad Step importer.

You will have to open each part of the assembly and look for bad geomtry. Typically, you will see cylinders with a surface that self-intersects, thus look like an hourglass.

Other problems is that SE could not get a valid solid, and therefore only created surface geometry. Those files have to be activated and you have to have Construction Geomtry showing in the view to see them.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Parasolid is the best for neutral formats into and out of SE. Other than that, you're doing a clean-up job on the models.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back