Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STEP importation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonTonino

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2006
IT
Trying to import data from a STEP file (~120 MB) created with CATIA v5r16 by another company I repeatedly fail to import correctly all the data, receiving the following error:

"Low memory status, file is partially transferred. Increase memory. Element not created"

The machine I'm working on has 2 GB of RAM, I've checked and the maximum usage peaked at around 1.4 Gb... any hints/ideas as to how to resolve this problem? Currently it's running v5r12.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry I forgot to say that currently the system is based on Windows 2000, it has 2 GB RAM plus 2 GB virtual memory (overkill?)

Data processing works fine untill memory usage reaches around 1.4 GB, after that I receive the error message as shown above and all the parts processed afterwards are not created. As some of them are the ones I actally need, it's quite frustrating. Aside from asking to be sent for just the parts I need, is there any way I can choose what parts to create before actually starting to import the STEP file and thus saving the memory 'wasted' by the parts I don't need to import?

As Eric states - XP with atleast 3GB will help your problem, I am not sure if this flag exists in R12, Tools -- Options -- Compatibility -- Step -- One CATProduct for each Product.
This will break the step file into assembly mode provided it was created as such.

Regards,
Derek

Moving to R16 - is this out of the question? They (Dassault) have made improvements to memory management. Thats what the ALC's help provide.

Thanks DBezaire for the hint, I'll check it ASAP.

Regarding the move XP and R16, unfortunately I can (and will) only suggest it, not enforce it.

R16 has greatly improved memory management, and it supports 64 bit processing, which moves your memory usages up dramatically - although it is theoretically in the Petabytes, practically CATIA will use up to about 8 gb. But by then, you start to run out of graphics card capacity (unless you bump your graphics card up to 512MB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back