Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sterilization of circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayLau

Industrial
Mar 10, 2005
HK
Hi,

I'm currently doing a project which involves sterilization of circuitry.
How are circuits normally sterilized?
Can anyone provide met with more info.

Thx in advance,

Jay

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

search for "chemical sterilization"

<nbucska@pcperipherals DOT com> subj: eng-tips
read FAQ240-1032

Hmm sorry uh I know the steps,

but what I mean is how are the circuitry normally protected when they need to be sterilized? special material coating or something like that?

Jay

Depends on the process used.

There are environmental, conformal coatings that are often used such as parylene

TTFN

There are three standard techniques for sterilizing
stuff.

1) Radiation, generally using Cobalt 60 which generates major ionizing radiation that would probably injure some ICs. This also heats the product up. Product coming out of a CO60 sterilizer is generally very warm.

2) Autoclaving: Essentially a pressure cooker. While IC's are relatively well protected from water these days a pressurized steam environment WILL drive H2O into ICs. Which definitely will wreck them.

3) ETO: Ethylene Oxide. Which is considered a cold sterilizing procedure, though it isn't "cold" ~110F. ETO will attack circuit board substrate but slowly.
The general process is to package the "to be" sterilized product in a gas permeable bag that gas can go through but viruses cannot. This allows easy handling after sterilization.

So if you really need sterilized circuits you will probably need to look into the ETO process. There are many ETO contract sterilizers out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back