Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stiffened plate strange modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexkoguar

Aerospace
Feb 13, 2021
IT
Hi everyone 👋😀, i have created a stiffened plate(with ribs and spars)clamped at one end(a wing model for flutter analysis), the plate is meshed with bar2 and quad4 element, When i run the modal analysis in nastran i found strange in plane modes that i cannot completely eliminate. Can anyone help me please? The right sequence of frequencies in Hz is: 4/8.9/25/33/70/76/134/144.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=43aba2df-4373-4a31-922d-50566d9d6280&file=pannello_ala.bdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can offer no advice on the specifics, but trying to visualize from your one-line description- I would check that masses and stiffnesses in all directions were appropriate- specifically watching for something like m versus mm, ft vs inch, E vs Fy, etc.

Thanks, i dont know how to block the membrane action efficiently(strange because impose the bending element). When i constrained two free ends it works fine for the first frequencies and if i block all the in plane dof the frequencies are wrong.

The nastran input file/code doesn't mean a lot to me....I don't work with that program. (And I cannot tell what the boundary/support conditions are from it.)

The pic is helpful.....but I cannot tell what the boundary/support conditions are there either.

Just guessing based on what you posted: you likely (in order to make the model stable) have some sort of in & out-of-plane restraint/supports at some points along the perimeter. With that set up, you will get a lot of lower modes participating for the out-of-plane modes.....but the in-plane stuff will mainly be with higher modes (and likely low mass participation). That is, assuming you are talking infinitely stiff restraint in the in-plane direction.

You likely aren't interested in the in-plane stuff.....so you can just ignore it if you want, or come up with a in-plane stiffness for the supports that is accurate.

Thanks WARose, but when i constrained the nodes for the in plane dof, the natural frequencies of bending and twisting out of plane are wrong. I used shell elements and bar elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back