Stiffening Of Wide-Flange Column At Moment Connections 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arefinmahadi

Civil/Environmental
Mar 7, 2015
BD
Hi,
I am trying to determine the column strength connected to a beam with end plate moment connection as per the AISC Design Guide - 13. But this design guide offers the equation for calculating "bs" only for two cases - 1. Four Bolt Unstiffened Extended End Plate Connection.
2. Eight Bolt (4+4) Stiffened End Plate moment connection

Now how can i calculate the term "bs" for other configurations, like 4 (2+2) bolt Extended Stiffened, 6 (2+4) bolt Extended Stiffened, 8 (2+6) bolt Extended Stiffened ? Can anybody show me the derivation or any reference that can be help ?
Or any conservative solution that i can apply for all the cases ?
I have also attached the page where it is published.

Thanks in advance.

Arefin

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=77779dc9-0a43-4488-a1b8-d2b35fe109c7&file=1.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're just worried about the local flange bending limit state which is based on the column flange yield lines. Right? Take a look at DG-4. It does a better job of showing the yield lines for the column flange yielding cases.

If that doesn't have what you're looking for, then you could take a look at the PhD theses that was the basis for these design guides. Emmet Sumner, 2003. "Unified Design of Extended End-Plate Moment Connections". I know it has some configurations that I couldn't find other places.

Also, you could check out RISAConnection (the free demo version should work fine). I was the project lead back then for these types of connections. So, the basis for the column flange bending equations should be pretty well spelled out in the help file. Most of it, I got from the design guide or the Sumner thesis. But, there may be some extra details about assumptions or such. If I remember correctly, one of the column flange yield line patterns had similar geometry to one of the derived end plate yield lines. So, we used that (with some minor modifications).

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot JoshPlum. I have got your point. It was great help. Specially the reference "Unified Design of Extended End-Plate Moment Connections".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back