Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stirrup splice for grade beam wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBTree

Civil/Environmental
Dec 5, 2016
US
I have a contractor that wants to use a two piece stirrup for a grade beam wall. The approach they want to use is to place U-bars with double 135 degree hooks on both ends. For the top cap they want to use a bar with one 135 degree hook and one 90 degree hook. Their hook lengths are appropriate for the bar size but I have not seen this approach used before. Is the use of the hooks in this configuration adequate or do they need to use a standard double U-stirrup with a 1.3 X development length as shown in 318-25.7.1.7

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't understand....if you have a double "U" bar with hooks each end why you then need a cap?

Don't you have a "U" bar with the bottom of the "U" on the bottom and another "U" bar with the "U" on the top?

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

I think it's gotta be the 1.3 lab if you're going with the U-bar approach.

How tall are the walls? Where things start to take on the proportions of walls rather than beams, I've relaxed stirrup engagement requirements significantly.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back