Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stock Tractor Tuning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mowin28

Agricultural
Nov 27, 2006
US
We have a 2000 John Deere 9200 with the 12.5L engine. This tractor is suppose to have 310 factory horsepower. I have been researching different tuning chips for this tractor and have found chips that will increase the horsepower up to 30%. With a 30% power increase this tractor without upgrading any engine parts would be putting out around 400 horse, 90 more than factory. I am wondering what kind of problems this will cause long term. This tractor only does grunt work...chizel plowing, field cultivating etc. I cannot believe long term hard pulling will not cause problems with a 30% increase. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these chips or any advice. I did some checking and the 9200 has the same pistons and heads as the 9300, but the 9300 has a little larger radiator. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at it this way, if you put the chip in and break stuff, you will be able to post it here and help someone else out. ;). Seriously, I have no real helpful info for you. Sorry.

I am not that familiar with JD tractors. It appears that the 9220, 9320 and 9420 (at least) share that same wheel base. That suggests that they used the same transmission and axles but it is tough to tell unless you can get a good look at a parts book. Often times the axles are the same family, but the bigger ones 4 vs. 3 planetary gears, larger diameter axles, ex. Same idea for the transmission. I used to be able to tell what size a Magnum was just by looking at the back end.

One thing to keep in mind is that the tractor is probably designed for an 80th% user over 10 years. If you plan to trade it in sooner or put on less than normal hours you can probably afford to up the HP some.

Another important factor - the limiting factor on the drivetrain parts is almost certainly shock loads. (hitting rocks, "dropping" the machine into the ground, up/down shifts under full power, ex.) Lets say the shocks only happen 3% of the time, but they do >90% of the damage. The more you can reduce this the better.

And axle weight. You will need more mass to utilize a 30% boost in power, but that weight will make everything work harder - wheels, axles, frame, brakes, etc.

Lastly - if you do chip it consider adding a pyro to keep on eye on the exhaust temps. Unless you are in the south west your radiator will probably be OK. They have to size it for the worst conditions.

IceStationZebra

CSLufkin -

If the increase in HP due to the chip caused your engine or transmission to fail two years earlier than it would have, would you know that the chip was the cause?

Probably not, but you would still have to fork over extra the money for repairing or replacing the tractor.

Using a chip to boost power beyond what the manufacturer intended generally has some consequences:

1. Voids the warranty
2. Reduces the durability of the engine
3. Increases the emissions (pollution)

Engines are usually set up to run within certain limits. Some typical limits are:

A. peak cylinder pressure
B. max turbine inlet temperature
C. max Compressor outlet temperature & avoiding unstable compressor operation
D. how much heat the radiator and charge air cooler have to reject to the air (can we keep it cool enough?)

Companies that sell the chips don't take most of the limits into account when they set up the calibration. The result is often shorter engine life.

Transmissions & drive trains are designed with a certain max torque in mind. So using the chip might exceed that limit.

In short, using a chip to increase the power of any engine carries some risk, especially over the long term.

j2bprometheus

Yes j2bprometheus has hit the hammer on the head.

The wear of an engine is exponential if you push it 30% harder you generally expect a drop of the life expectancy more than 30% as your total engine friction will increase a lot and your pumping work costing you a lot more in fuel.

The engine cooling system might also be inadequate and cause further engine wear and reduction in life.

You won't have a warrantee, its obvious to manufacturer what you've done - they aren't stupid.

On to the trubomachinery side if you boost your engine you might choke your compressor
Likely to reduce the TC efficiency and life expectancy
especially if the turbine temps rise and exhaust pressure

I havn't even covered the transmision...

Is productivity going to rise enough to counter these potential problem s and addtional fuel costs?

Your tranctor its up to you what you do.

Personally I would find out the exact difference the different engine versions such as
Turbomachinery (I'd expect a different TC), Cooling, Engine components (piston rings conrod etc, egr, transmission .... This can also be indicated by the cost difference between the engines, if its big then expect more than an ECU re-program.

If they are different it will indicate what more likely to fail on your tractor.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back