Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stone veneer anchor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statik

Structural
Mar 4, 2005
US
I designed a 4” wide stone veneer 4’ high in front of 2x6 exterior wall, w/ 1” air space, masonry anchors, weepholes, etc.
The mason tells me that he usually installs a drain mat and nails a galvanized mesh right through it. The mortar squeezes into the mesh and then holds the stone in leu of anchors. He keeps a bit more space behind weepholes and fills that with peastone gravel. Is that acceptable?
I wonder if temperature changes (this is upstate NY) will expand and contract the mesh and the mortar shears off?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not comfortable with his idea. Small stone panels (say a band of 12" or 16" high pieces) can be mortared into the brick veneer, with typical brick veneer anchors used, but you are talking about much larger panels. I recommend the stone anchors, probably four per panel (two dowels into the foundation wall and two anchors at the top of each panel). Keep in mind you will get a larger force into the studs which are connected to the top of the stone panels.

DaveAtkins

Your mason sounds right IMHO. Normally, stone veneer is applied to mortar, like, a veneer ! This is not brick masonry. Large temperature changes won't affect the mesh. It is too thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back