Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stopping Sight Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjh03

Civil/Environmental
Mar 29, 2001
LB
Hi,
It is noticed in the newest version of AASHTO (highways) that the vertical curve length calculated from the SSD (stopping sight distance) is modified relative to that of the previous version; however, this modification is to the worse not to the better.
So, in the newest version (pages 271,272), Length L is calculated as AS2/658(when S is less than L) compared to AS2/404 in the 1994 version. The difference between the 2 results is mainly due to the change in the object height from 15 cm in 1994 to 60 cm in the new version. Hence by decreasing L the design speed on the highway is reduced and consequently reduction in quality of the highway.
So what do you think about that. Any interpretations are welcome.

Regards...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This has been noted by several people I know and they entend to to keep using the old standard. Sight distance is a pretty basic highway design standard and the fact that so little has been writen about this change bothers me too. I think it should be 20" min for the object because that is about the height of the stop lights on a small car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back