Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Storage of Flammable and Hazardous Materials in Reactor Containment 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSMyles

Nuclear
Aug 17, 2014
AU
I'm interested to know what documentation is in place in other reactors, particularly research reactors, for the storage of hazardous materials WITHIN THE REACTOR CONTAINMENT. In particular, flammable liquids and gasses.

Currently our documentation specifies volume based limits for our most common, simple solvents (e.g. acetone and ethanol). It is based on a very rudimentary calculation, rather than fire models. The heat of combustion of solvent was used to determine the liquid volume which, when combusted, will result in a certain pressure increase within a closed containment. For example, the volume of acetone is ~3L.

I'm trying to make our documentation more versatile (esp. since we frequently introduce commercial solvents and lubrication oils into containment). I'd be interested to hear about the case for other reactors.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I cannot see any reason to ever store flammable, volatile, or ANY other hazardous materials in the reactor compartment, reactor control room, instrument room, or access spaces to any of those type rooms.

Keep them clean, keep them clear, keep them safe for their intended use: Control and access to an operating reactor.

Store
your cleaning gear, lab gear, lab chemicals, and paint and maintenance material IN A SEPARATE AREA. In flame proof, grounded, containers marked and secured for such chemicals.

When you need to USE these chemicals inside or near or around the reactor or reactor controls and instrument area, CONTROL their use with your properly checked off materials handling procedure so the reactor (and you!) remain protected against accidents (spills, contamination, flames or explosions, material or insulation contamination, or foreign chemicals getting introduced into the reactor or reactor coolant. Obviously, such useage controls and instructions need to include the requirement to only bring approved chemicals into the reactor or reactor controls areas, only bring the minimum possible amount of chemicals in, and always bring the chemicals in within an approved container, and always bring in with the chemical a spills kit sufficient to clean up that chemical volume plus 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back