Status
Not open for further replies.

QA -Ernesto

Petroleum
Jul 6, 2023
US
Dear friends,
I would like to request our assist to the following query:
A contractor is tasked to install new 2" diameter (2.375" OD) nozzles, the welders are qualified per section IX on 2G/3G/4G positions. A note from the welders WQR states All positions on plate and pipe over 24". F & H on pipe 2.873 thru 24". All positions of fillet and/or tack welds on plate and pipe. The drawing weld joint configuration calls for full per groove with fillet weld cap. Based on this information I informed the contractor that the welders are not qualified to weld the tank nozzles. The contractor responded that the nozzles are considered part of the tank shell as such the plate qualification allows them to weld the nozzles. I requested from the contractor to provide me with the Code/Standard that states the nozzle is part of the shell but to date no response from them yet. Is there such a clause that define the nozzle as part of the shell?

Please advise.
Ernesto

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say the pipe limitations are based on welding two pieces of pipe together with a butt-weld, not welding them to something else. So the butt weld between the pipe and a tank shell would be 2G/3G positions. I don't have my ASME code here handy, and that may or may not be made clear anywhere in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back