Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storage Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

cougarfan

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2001
US
We have a atmospheric storage tank which has caved in due to vacuum - the tank is a 10000 gallon storage tank - above ground - chepaer to repair than to replace?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sometimes just filling it back up with water will force it to remember its proper shape.

The tank should have either 2 vents or have the single vent protected with birdscreen. I've seen cases where the vent is plugged by the painter's plastic tarp which resulted in collapse of the tank.

The vent size should be based on ensuring the air pressure loss thru the vent during max pump runout flow does not exceed the exernal pressure permissive.

well... if the tank does not has any special shape or any special preparation... why do not u inverse the tank (vis-versa).... it could work

didey,

If this was a 10,000 gallon, flat-bottomed (API-650 style)tank that was made from carbon steel, and shop fabricated.....I would replace it. If it was stainless, rework it

How old was it anyway ? Where is it ? Was the tank in some kind of corrosive service ?

The cost of straightening, rewelding pannels, painting etc a tank of this size is not worth it.

Replace it with a new properly coated and vented "shop fabbed" tank and consider it an investment

My thoughts only

MJC

I'd just refill it with water and pop it back out.

An article I read years ago stressed DO NOT put any actual pressure in the tank vapor space, you literally should just need a few extra inches of water pressure to do this.

You shall roll a profile (chanell or beam) exactly according to tank radius (Cmplete ring), then fabricate from outside as a stiffener. It corrects the curvature of tank, but you may need more than one stiffener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back