Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stormwater Modeling Software Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClarkBart

Civil/Environmental
May 23, 2008
US
Hi:

I have a small engineering company and am searching for stormwater modeling software. I've been out of stormwater design for a while and used to use HEC-1, TR-20 and Intelisolve regularly.

I am looking for a different solution now. Anybody have any experiences with Carlson or Stormnet? They seem to have some integration with older AutoCAD. Maybe someone has other suggestions or experiences?

Important things that I would be looking for in a software would be good documentation (so I have some understanding about how the calculations are being performed), hydrology and hydraulics calculations based on established methods, integration with ACAD 2007 or earlier (to make data input easier), good reporting for regulatory review and acceptance by regulatory agencies.

Look forward to your comments. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Information: Intelisolve has been acquired by Autodesk. I do not know how well it is integrated with AutoCad but one would hope it is. I still use the older, standalone version of Hydrographs 2007 and Storm Sewers 2008. Both are pretty good, in my opinion, but have some bugs and annoyances. With the acquisition,O'm afraod, the formerly excellent support will probably disappear.

HydroCad works well for lots of things. Good documentation.

HEC-RAS is a good choice and is FREE.

Some people like SWMM,also FREE. I find it obscure but that may just be my lack of familiarity with it.

TR-20 and TR-55 should also be in your library as should the National Flood Frequency (NFF) program.

I also like SMADA;a poor man's version of SWMM.

There are many others so your choices may depend on what is accepted by regulators in your area.

good luck

HydroCAD is the best in my book. Not only does it offer great functionality and is easy to use, it is based on TR-20 and TR-55. This is essential for permitting around here. The documentation and technical support is outstanding as well.

Thanks for the information. I downloaded the demonstration HydroCAD and used it for a few simple analysis. For a lot of projects, this may be all the software that's needed.

I tried to get Intelisolve, but, as it was pointed out, it was swallowed up by Autodesk and you can only get it through updating the ACAD software through its subscription service. I'm not comfortable with Autodesk's new marketing process. It feels almost like an protection racket.

Any one having any experience with the MS4 permitting process and using stormwater modeling to make a retrofit plan? This type of modeling is beyond HydroCAD and Intelisolve.

Thanks

ClarkBart,

I am not familiar with requirements of MS4 permitting, yet I get the impression you need to model catchbasin/stormdrain systems by this reference.

If this is the case, I would definately check out Carlson. I used to use Stormcad, but it's cost is ridiculous for size models we need. The latest Carlson package (2009) is definately meeting our needs.

I had been using HydroCAD previously, but now I'm being asked with my new firm to recommend whether we stay w/ Hydraflow - that they had been using - or switch to HydroCAD. Hydraflow is now part of the Civil 3D software that we are using. However, there is virtually no tech. support.

Also, when running both programs to compare, I'm getting 2 times the pond size required by Hyrdaflow than HydroCAD requires. Maybe there is something wrong in the inputs. I am using the free sampler from HydroCAD right now.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

stormnet does not have full integration yet with autocad, however pricewise it is somewhat cheaper than stormcad and more full featured from the hydrology side. Neither one can stand up to the ability of HEC1 for pure hydrology.

What about HYDROCAD VS. HYDRAFLOW???

I really like HydroCAD's modeling (more user friendly) as well as the look of the print outs.

Also, I just don't understand why the pond size required by the two programs would be off by a factor of two!

SCEngr1: Pond sizing will depend on virtualy every aspect of the model. Are the pond inflows the same? Be sure to check the volume as well as the peak flow. If the inflow matches, compare the stage-storage and stage-discharge curves. Keep looking and you'll find a difference somewhere.

If you have further questions, please start a new thread in the HydroCAD forum so this thread can stay on-topic.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back