Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stormwater Treatment Unit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowne

Civil/Environmental
May 26, 2004
US
I apologize to those who may have seen and responded to this same thread on the "Civil/Environmental Engineering Other Topics Forum", but I'm new to the site and didn't realize that there was a forum dedicated to stormwater engineering. So, once again I post my thread in hopes of obtaining some valuable incite. Thank you for your attention....

As part of a stormwater improvement project, which serves a local urban area, the New York State Department of Conservation is requiring that a treatment facility be installed near the drainage system's downstream end, just prior to its discharge into tidal waters. They are looking for some type of package unit (i.e., gravity separation or swirl clarifier) such as a Bay Saver, CDS, Stormceptor, V2B1, Vortechs, etc. Has anyone had any experince with any of these treatment systems and if so, what are your comments regarding their usage.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The city of Mpls put in some 'Stormceptor unit around a couple of the lakes about 2000. Call the Sewer Design people to find out how they are working. 612-673-3000 is the general info number. they can give you the right number.

Being an engineer in Massachusetts means knowing about these units as our Stormwater Management Policy requires 80% TSS removal and most of these units claim removal rates at or above our requirements. The units can be put inline sized to handle the larger-than-design flows, or offline to handle the smaller low flows ("first flush"). Here are a couple of reviews done by our state: and some fact pages from the feds:

With land at a premium, these units are being specified more and more often. As an engineer, the Downstream Defender is a decent unit since you gain a pipe diameter since a submerged sump is part of the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back