Straigtening out weldment members on Solidworks for cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan DelaCourt

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2017
CN
Hi all,

I am creating a tubular frame chassis using solidworks and have created the members in the form of "weldments", I have curved members which I want to straigthen out in order to aquire the straight length.In addition to this, I have notching throughout on each end of the members.

I have scanned google and various forums but cant seem to find any solution to this, surely solidworks has the ability to straighten out weldment tube profiles?

Any help/advice is greatly appriciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would expect difficulties in making curved tube bends of previously notched tubes. And, since most tube bending needs a fair amount of straight section to form the bends, it is generally the case that the length required is longer than the finished length. Most times the bends are made, then the member is cut as required and then the notching is done.

You should be able to find some edge and measure that length and then add 5X to 10X the narrowest dimension at the bends near the end to each end.

I'm sure someplace there is a way to flatten the part - it's just not going to be so useful to the fabricator to do so.

Solidworks allows you to place Arc Length dimensions. That should be a helpful tool for this task. SW also allows you to dimension a Path length along various types of connected elements (think of belt length around pulleys). Using those tools you might not need to straighten the members out.

Hi, Ryan:

You can bend your member so that it has two configurations. One is straight and the other one is bent.

Best regards,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back