Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strain graph along a line in Ansys Workbench 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvindj227

Mechanical
May 18, 2011
NL
Hi All,

First time here. I've been working with Ansys workbench for the past 4 months now doing some modeling and simulation of a bearing attached on an adapter plate.

I'm not very familiar with many of the features of WB yet. I want to make a graph of the variation of the strains on the outer ring of the bearing, say along a line. Basically I want to then use this to average the strain values along that line to compare with some experimental results.

Right now, I'm just manually probing and inserting labels along the outer ring on that line, noting down the values and making a graph in another program. Is there an easier way to do this since I have to do it for many areas on the geometry.

The simulation takes quite a few hours to run so if I can avoid running it again and just post process it someway, that would also be great! But I can still run it again if required.

I use Ansys Workbench 11. I do not have any experience with Ansys Classic and I am quite a beginner. I only opened Ansys for the first time 4 months ago and started with WB.

Thanks for the help!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The way to output strains along a line is to create a path and scope the results to that path. The problem is, I'm not sure that the Workbench GUI is capable of that in v11. If not, you may have to flip over to Ansys Classic or insert some command snippets to get what you want.

Thanks! Here's what I tried. I selected an edge, and inserted a strain probe. Chose the directions of strains that I required and then evaluated the results. It gives me the maximum and minimum along that edge. Is that what you meant? I guess that should suffice but maybe for later on, is there a way to see the variation along the line/edge in a graph? (Without going into Classic).

I checked, and you cannot plot results along a path in WB11; it was implemented in WB12.

Using a path would be the ideal way to do it, and I'd encourage you to try creating a path in Classic. However, I believe that you can also export the nodal results from Workbench. Ansys Classic has many more features and allows much more control than Workbench (even the latest releases). If you use a bit of APDL in your models you'll soon come to appreciate the command line.

If the export feature is available in WB11, you'll first want to select Tools>Options>Export, and change "Include Node Location" to "Yes".

If I remember correctly, you can then export the nodal values and locations by right-clicking on the results which you have scoped along the line of interest and selecting "Export".

I've used the above technique for doing calculations outside of ANSYS. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back