Strainers and Fire Pumps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimnogood

Mechanical
May 1, 2009
US
All,

In NFPA 20, editions 2007 and after, the requirement for strainers on the suction of vertical inline pumps was deleted. Does anyone know the reason for the deletiion? Was it a pump performance issue? Or was it cost driven by owners/contractors?

In other words, if I still call for a strainer, will it adversely affect the pump?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the USA, Firewater typically comes from the potable City Water system. Since that water is 100% sand-bed filtered, adding a strainer at the pump does nothing except reduce the suction flow.

The NFPA 20 technical committee is adopting the same approach as FM. Water that is not reliable from the perspective of being clean, free of debris, and of any nuisance that complicates the impellers is not reliable. It's a solid move as far as I concerned. Everything in the fire protection design is required to be listed yet the standards create large loopholes where the fire protection equipment is expected to respond and react to debris-riden water supplies. Let's face it. As currently written, NFPA standards love potable water supplies.

I agree with stookeyfpe,as in Europe, insurers ask for clean-water only, as this is an essential element of the reliability of the sprinkler system
Regards,
Pierre Paul
sprinkler engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back