Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strand 7 and O.S. 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemcgal

Structural
Jul 25, 2006
IT
hallo,
i'm about to buy a new pc (i5) equipped with Window8 home (64bit)
I'd ask if there are problems using Strand7 ver. 2.4.4 (32 bit born)
or if I need a special tools to run it on my system.
I've always ran it on a XP O.S.
thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had a lot of problems running our office programs on Window 64 bit OS. I had to install Virtual XP on my Windows 7 Pro laptop. This is disappointing since it does not take advantage of the performance of my laptop. I just bought several new desktop computers for the office and had them all setup with Windows XP. They run faster than the Virtual XP. All of our software is XP compatible. I just bought my son a new laptop, which was only available with Window 8. It is not very business oriented. A lot of power and resources are spent on a Start Screen layout. My iPad with Home Screen setup is great, but it is not very useful for calculations and drafting. I am sure their consumer market is huge, but they are losing touch with the business market. I am actually considering a Mac Pro for my next computer. I have heard mixed reviews about running Windows within a Mac setup.

Providing fabrication and erection efficient structural design of connections. Consulting services for structural welding and bolting.

Hi joemcgal,

I'm not familiar in any way with Strand7, but most software that is of XP vintage can be made problem-free on the Windows Vista / 7 / 8 64-bit OS with the use of compatibility mode. If you have problems, uninstall the program and re-install thus:

1. Right-click the install file (.exe or .msi), choose Properties.
2. Choose the Compatibility tab.
3. In the Compatibility dialog, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
4. Pick Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
5. If you're the owner of the machine and also administrator, and you don't suspect that unknown people will be fooling around in your Program Files or Program Files(x86) folders, then also check "Run this program as an administrator***."
6. Install.
7. Locate the .exe file that starts your software in the Program Files or Program Files(x86) folder, right-click it, and look at the Properties / Compatibility tab. Verify that the XP compatibility mode is in place, and the Admin checkbox is checked (if you checked it in the install file). It's probably OK, but if not, do steps 3, 4, and 5 above for the program .exe file.

Your Strand7 may run just fine without this rigamorole, but it's good general knowledge to keep for other older software in the new operating systems. I have also had good luck with programs based on Win 2000, Win NT, and Win 98. I haven't tried Win 95 software.

I learned this stuff the very, very, very hard way...

***Some older programs (eQuest is one) need to access parts of program-dedicated memory that Win Vista, Win7, and Win8 think are top-secret classified for some reason. I have verified that the program-dedicated memory space is not protected memory, but instead there are parts of it that are only available to those with an administrator account.
Good luck!

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back