Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Strand7 capabilities question

Status
Not open for further replies.

engnrgirl

Structural
Dec 19, 2003
US
I am trying to locate a FEA program that will allow for modeling of vibrations in structures- specifically mechanical equipment induced. SAP allows for a time history input of accelerations or displacements, but it will not allow for input to a particular node or element of the structure, only on a global scale. I need accelerations to be applied at certain points. I am looking at the Strand7 software, and I am hoping that it has this capability- can anyone verify this for me, or is there another software out there someone can refer me to?

Any help is appreciated...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you need to perform an Harmonic (forced vibrations) type analysis on your structure. I cannot comment on Strand7, but this is "bread-and-butter" to ANSYS. The definition of this type of analysis is "...Harmonic response analysis is a technique used to determine the steady-state response of a linear structure to loads that vary sinusoidally (harmonically) with time. The idea is to calculate the structure's response at several frequencies and obtain a graph of some response quantity (usually displacements) versus frequency. "Peak" responses are then identified on the graph and stresses reviewed at those peak frequencies."

In ANSYS, the input load is given as a set of tabulated data as a function of time, and can be applied anywhere within your model. Of course, any other "major" FE software will probably do the job for you. Take a look at:

for a list of codes.

-- drej --

Yes, Strand7 can tackle this.

You can define one or more time-history curves, then apply these as either:

a) nodal displacements at one or more selected nodes; or

b) base accelerations at selected base nodes.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back