Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange gearbox tooth pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofistioelevib

Industrial
Jun 24, 2015
IT
Hello Guys,
in attachments you found some photo about strange gearbox tooth pattern found. Before the inspection i made some vibration measurement on it discovered this:4

-1XM in axial 13,5 mm/s
-2XM in radial 16 mm/s
-1XGMF 2mm/s

THis machine is forming roll in a papaer machine (MOTOR-PENDULUM GEAR-CILYNDER).
All of your consideration about tooth pattern will be helpfull.

Regards

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0e224628-2dd5-4bf6-a308-4c07335f5c8d&file=doc1.docx
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have seen this pattern (especially last phot) with greater wear spots at end of teeth caused by a gear natural frequency (confirmed by impact test) where the vibration mode was a wobble of the larger (bull) gear.

Walt

Hi,

Based on the contact pattern, i would recommend you to check for the axial play in the bearing. I hope the gear is mounted on a set of taper roller bearings. Kindly ensure that the pre-loading in the taper roller bearings are fine. I hope that this should solve the problem. Further, I feel that there has been an initiation of micro pitting in the gear flank. Kindly check for the viscosity of the oil and also for the presence of any abrasive/metal particles in the lubrication oil.

Regards

K.Kaarthic

it appears from the photos the helical pinion has excessive wear,
some suggestions
attach a magnetic base with a dial indicator on ground surface, and look for excessive runout.
could be a worn bearing , or miss alignment.
a rebuild of this gear box is required, the pinion gear is worn.
the vibration is the teeth interfering causing excessive wear.

a full failure analysis will be required, a qualified engineer or technician or both, will have to
tear down the box and document and take pictures of each component.
document were and how the failure occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back