Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Strange mounting system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSpok

Industrial
Sep 30, 2019
US
Anyone ever seen this type of mounting system? Aluminum hollow tubes with 4 slits and a set screw in the center to spread the tube in order to tighten. This is how a robotic arm is mounted. My problem is i am trying to find a tool that is made for this to spread the 4 slits in order to get the set screw to start catching threads. I fought with this for hours having to use 4 small jeweler screwdrivers to spread it before being able to start the set screw. I'm thinking there must be a tool or better system.
IMG_20190924_1217505_vd9tiw.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These are reminiscent of Hughes adjusters. You likely require a hollow tool that adjusts the outer screw that acts as a positioning adjustment. The inner hex socket set screw is used as a jam screw to prevent the positioning adjuster from moving under normal usage.

Note that the position adjuster is not intended to do anything more than to set a position and is normally not loaded; the concentric tool keeps the adjuster from moving while you crank down on the the set screw.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

It appear that Allen wrenches may do the job as it appears that you have set screws. A similar type of fasteners were incorporated in a pair of my old downhill ski boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back