Strange nozzle flanges description - R9

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelDexter

Mechanical
May 26, 2014
PL
Hi
I am preparing a heat exchanger documentation for new exchanger based on old documentation. The heat exchanger is in Poland, and the old documentation is from Italy. In nozles table I have flanges description: 4" 150# WN-RF-R9-sch.40 and 3" 150# WN-RF-R9-sch.40.

Do you know what R9 can mean ? There is no information about gaskets.

I can't find R9 in ASME B16.5. For RTJ flanges grove numbers are R11 and above it. In the web I found explanation based on Endress Hauser catalogue, that R9 = RTJ class 900, but it is in contradiction with ASME B16.5.

Michal

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never seen that callout before but my guess is that it's some reference to the surface finish of the flange facing. It could refer to the average roughness (Ra) or total roughness (Rt) measured in micrometers, or it could be a reference to an ISO 1302 (this has since been withdrawn) roughness grade. Just a guess though.

-Christine

Dunno. The "RF" callout seems contradictory to a RTJ. Perhaps the "R9" callout is a manufacturers standard gasket callout. No obvious way to de-code.

Best of luck :)

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

This page lists a number of flange options, and refers to the informaton as "Model Code Options and Descriptions": R9 is not included.

This page is shown as "Model Code Addendum" and lists similar codes including R9, which is shown as "R9 Flange - EN Raised Face (RF) -250 to 500 AARH":
I'm not turning up anything to show what that "Model Code" actually is, though, or whether that's the same reference used above.
I find several other inquiries of this question, with similar responses to the above.

I'm liking the surface finish interpretation better now, but still,..

How to know for sure?

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Might also be a anti-slip finish rating for the gasket surface.
R9 - coefficient of friction 0.2
But don't quote me on that.

Hello
I was by this exchanger and I checked gaskets. All gaskets are with outside steel rings. I assume, that gaskets are spiral wound, and this "R9" is roughness description.
Thanks for all advises
Michal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back