Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange vibration shaker acceleration frequency response test result

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyeagle

Aerospace
Jan 10, 2015
US
Hi There,
I have a VTS(vibration test system)-100 shaker. To make sure it works correctly, I have done a acceleration frequency response test for the bare shaker. In which, I place an accelerometer on the top of the shaker platform, use a function generator and amplifier to drive the shaker at sweeping frequency from 2 Hz to 6000 Hz. I also use a polytech laser vibrometer to detect the displacement of the point on the shaker platform close to the location of the accelerometer. Attached are my result. From the acceleration frequency response graph, I see several peaks indicating the "resonance" frequency, according to the vibration theory, the acceleration should be a continuous function of the frequency, it should be a smooth line without any resonance peaks. What is wrong with my measurement? or the shaker is bad? I have make sure the accelerometer is good.

Thanks.

Mike

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3f174203-8ef5-4135-b3c2-5ce05ea0e8b7&file=forsorum.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

flyeagle said:
I see several peaks indicating the "resonance" frequency, according to the vibration theory, the acceleration should be a continuous function of the frequency, it should be a smooth line without any resonance peaks.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. There will be resonance peaks. Is it the sharpness (looks to be discontinuous) of the peaks that bothers you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back