Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Strategic initiatives using AI and ML

Status
Not open for further replies.

SURENMED

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2019
US
Looking for ideas and use cases to share and discuss around design engineering for equipment design and manufacturing products comprising of mechanical, electrical and software combined parts leveraging artificial intelligence and machine learning

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not a software guy by any means, but doing mechanical design I've got AI/ML all around me from solid modeling and FEA/CFD tools to CNC centers & their tooling to our program management software to whatever lil smart devices are built into parts and products. Here in the auto industry anymore its not a matter of the vehicle being smart, but many of the individual components are themselves modules that are individually smart nowadays.

I really want to do something with AI and the brain. You can get vast amounts of data from an EEG. The frequency of the wave, the location, where it was, how long it was there, how fast it moved to another location, the locations it passed through to get there, and on and on and on.

AI has been fed, for example, EEG's and MRI's of people with certain psychiatric conditions, and then learned how to find those with 90% accuracy.

It's a very personal subject to me because I have some problems I'd like to overcome myself.

Basically what I was thinking of was 3d printing a brain, which I have, installing LED lights, and having it light up RGB led's to show what frequency is at what part of the brain, where it's moving, etc. I'd have to buy some kit: and that has been the biggest hurdle. I think too even just knowing what certain parts of the brain do, and seeing them as you do a task, could make you completely aware of what you're doing. Certain patterns of thought would certainly manifest on EEG's differently than others. I'd like to see brain areas concerned with learning, for example, when studying. I'd hope I coudl learn to tell these apart from "texting" brain. I think AI could help there as well.

I think AI would be the best for this application. I wish EEG's could, I guess, sense deeper into the brain. It'd be nice to know what is going on in the amygdala for example. AI could also probably be fed MRI's to learn and guess where brain activity goes after certain EEG patterns.

I've thought alot about that. It'd be something I'd really love to do. Just think of the calculus you could do to try and describe it without AI. I'd cut the brain up into sections. A1, A2, A3, etc. then there'd be all different rates of change for waves moving from one area to another, then you'd have to factor where it went through, that'd be another kindof a formula, area of the "brain wave" too, so many things. I've thought a lot about it. I've studied psychology, and the brain, and I've became more and more aware of the possibility that there is no program available where i might study psychology and the brain in terms resembling those in which I understand it. I think many patterns of the brain lie not only outside our current understanding, they lie outside the grasp of the methods of our analysis.

So to answer your question, I think AI is perfectly suited to solving systems of enormous complexity, that would take years and years of math and study to really understand otherwise. And I'm curious about using Matlab's built in AI to come up with some answers:

Some of the stuff it's been used for is way too simple, honestly. AI has been able to design three color shirts, for example.

Some smartphones have AI processors, apparently just for the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back