Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stream Classification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper21

Civil/Environmental
Apr 2, 2013
US
Hi All,

I would really appreciate some help on this one.

I'm currently designing a treatment system to treat approximately 3,000 GPD and want to discharge it to a specific stream. I went on the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation website and found that this was a standard class B(T) stream. It's my understanding that the "T" represents a presence of Trout. However, I'm also wondering what the flow in this stream is and what my effluent limits need to be.

Does anyone know where I can find this information such as Flow and Limits? Just trying to get a handle on whether this treatment system needs to be tertiary treatment, or if it can just be secondary.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is another link:

All waters of the state are provided a class and standard designation based on existing or expected best usage of each water or waterway segment.
•The classification AA or A is assigned to waters used as a source of drinking water.
•Classification B indicates a best usage for swimming and other contact recreation, but not for drinking water.
•Classification C is for waters supporting fisheries and suitable for non - contact activities.
•The lowest classification and standard is D.

Waters with classifications A, B, and C may also have a standard of (T), indicating that it may support a trout population, or (TS), indicating that it may support trout spawning (TS). Special requirements apply to sustain these waters that support these valuable and sensitive fisheries resources.

The discharge requirement will require as a minimum tertiary treatment and these requirements may make your project unfeasible. You should consider other alternatives such as a mound system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back