Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Street Light Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

5wp

Civil/Environmental
Nov 6, 2006
CA
Looking for historical information on street light controls.
I'm interested in knowing how street lights were controlled
in the 1950's and 60's. What was used before the photocell,
or has it been around from the beginning? If mechanical
timers were used did they need to be reset for varying hours
of sunlight, ie. northern climates?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Astronomical time clocks have been around for a long time.

An excerpt from here:

Established in 1903, Paragon sold electrical and telephone specialties, then began manufacturing hand-wound time switches. Power companies purchased time switches to control generators. Cities used them to control street lights. Electrical signs with time switches became popular. As demand for time switches grew, so did Paragon. Prior to the Depression, Paragon introduced an electrically-driven time switch. The country rebounded, and in 1932, Paragon developed the first synchronous motor time switch controlled with the accuracy and convenience of an electrical clock.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Photocells have been around for a very long time (certainly before the 1950s and 1960s). I recall that CdS photocells were considered to be a bit "old-school" by the late 60s.

The rest of a traditional street light switch is electromechanical (thermal switch).

In the mid 60's a common light control photo-cell would be a photo resistor in series with a heater element heating a bi-metal strip. The lamp would come on when the circuit was first energized. If there was enough light incident on the photo resistor the heater would heat the bi-metal strip sufficiently to open the lamp circuit.
Older photocells used for such things as conveyor control often had a vacuum tube light detector and a vacuum tube amplifier contained in one case.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

In the USA street lighting was traditionally a series circuit
running at a constant current of 6.6 A and variable voltage supplied at the substation. Many lamps in series with a drop of several volts across each lamp. If a lamp burned out, the resulting open-circuit voltage across that lamp burned through a small mica button in the socket re-establishing the circuit.

The supply was from a 2300 or 4000 volt bus via a series regulator, a mechanical contraption involving moving and stationary coils which regulated the current. A solid state magnetic regulator was also used. The circuit was usually manually switched on by an oil switch by the substation operator, or a clock.

With the advent of modern mercury vapor and flourescent street lighting the series systems fell out of favor. Very likely no longer used anywhere.

rasevskii

As well as 6.6A there were 7.2A, 7.5A and 20 Amp circuits.
20 Amps was favored for lamps near street car tracks. The filaments were very heavy and were better able to withstand the vibration of passing street cars.
There were current transformers to change from one system to another. eg: 7.5 Amps to 6.6 Amps.
Some circuits used mercury vapor lamps with ballasts designed for series operation.
Series circuits are still use for airport runway lighting.
Some of the old series regulators were adjusted by adding or removing iron balance weights.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

This looks like a homework question, is it?

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Nope it isn't :)
I have tried to look up, but in vain.

If some one has used an alternative (Preferably with a smaller foot print), I wish they could share it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back