Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strength & size checks for small Bevel Gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMS21

Electrical
Apr 10, 2004
ID
I've been using the Mechsoft Bevel Gear wizard (a Solidworks 2004 add-on) to do design plus strength checks etc for a small 3:1 10DP Bevel Gear Transmission for a small Helicopter (2 Stroke engine 2 cyl 24Hp @5000 rpm) so after finaly settling on dimensions that give the green light the Gear has an approximate Gear size of around 4.5" ... ok not so bad ! but I would like this to be as small as possible due to weight factor.

2 days ago I visited a local Marine shop and on the counter top was a bunch of Spiral Bevel gears from various makes and models of outboards ... one of the gears I picked up was approx 3" and from a 40 Hp Suzuki, these do have a reasonably generous face width of around 3/4" to 1' or so.
Is mechsoft over doing the strength check ?
I need reliability but not the beef factor and I'm curious as something seems off here ?

looking at several Co's who make gears there also seems to be a wide gap in strengths due to material's and Hardness etc when trying to compare products with similar load and speeds.
I'm curious as to what others out there would consider a suitable DP or Module for a 3:1 Gear set with 24Hp at 5000 Rpm ?

TIA
Thomas

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thomas,

If you do not know the stresses (bending and contact) on the gear, then it is difficult to know how conservative the Mechsoft wizard is. Is your design also a spiral bevel gear? Do you know what material, hardness, and case depth are being considered by the Mechsoft wizard?

Bevel gear design is a serious mechanical engineering
subject. A acceptable approach is to follow the following
standard:

"ANSI/AGMA 2003-B97 - Rating the pitting resistance and
bending strength of generated straight bevel, zerol
bevel and spiral bevel gear teeth"

AGMA has been creating a design software based on
the above document. If you have a further interest,
contact them: and ask
when it'll be sold.

Good luck!

Status