Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress Analysis for Beginners 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

soniq

Aerospace
Aug 31, 2007
US
Is there a "one-stop-shop" for the beginning stress analyists to reference? Hopefully this would include examples and tips for what stress guy should look for. Bruhn is not an easy read. Niu and Flabel are my favorites thus far. But sure could use papers that exist out there that could be used as training material.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Textbooks:
Roark, Formulas for Stress and Strain
Timoshenko, Theory of Elastic Stability
Timoshenko, Thoery of Elasticity
Perry, Aircraft Structures (try to find a first edition)

Couple of short courses:

Aircraft Structures Design and Analysis

Stress Analysis: Theory and Practice

Boeing has a stress analysis class for employees; It also offers the Aircraft Structural Repair for Airline Engineers class.

The list could almost be endless, with everybody pitching in with with books and references which have added to there knowledge. You might find a small bit of usefull info in an obscure place that you can use.

Bruhn isnt an easy ride, but it teaches you everything you need to know. Mike Niu did his degree in hydraulics because he wasn't judged clever enough to to aerospace (his ideal). After he completed he wanted to get into the industry(before he joined Lockheed) do he read Bruhn from back to front and did all the questions. Twice.
He then learned more by spending all his time in the lockheed library reading reports during lunchtimes to get enough info to write his first book (10 years work).

It is and will continue to be the first and last book of aero stress engineers because it contains everything you need to know. Elmer didn't invent the wheel, he just put it in a decent shop window.

Roark, Formulas for Stress and Strain was the bible at my last place.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

when you are ready for more advanced stress analysis--stress analysis of airplane type structures--you can download the 2 documents here:
there are 4 documents there, you can take all 4 if you like. The two most relevant to this topic are

Aircraft_Structures*.pdf
Stress_Course*.pdf

In addition to all of the great suggestions above an excellent resource would be ESDU ( it is commercial so you would need a way to subscribe but it is very comprehensive, very well respected, validated and easy to get your head around. I was given this as a first port of call when I began work for Airbus many years ago.

Check out "Practical Stress Analysis for Design Engineers" by Flabel. Very good book for beginners and there is also an associated course. One of our new recruits is currently taking the course and is making great progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back