Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STRESS CONCENTRATION FACTOR, SHORT CHAMFER IN EDGE OF CIRCULAR APERTURE 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i doubt there's a solution for such a specific geometry. You might have more luck if you consider just the OD of the CSK as a "bump" on the hole contour. A conservative model would be to consider the large cut-out but use the CSK as the corner radius.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Obviously this is an upper skin plank; primary structure related to an access hole cut-out. This is no simple fix! If you have the loads - then you have to calculate the critical crack length; and set up a threshold / repeat inspection. Only if the intervals are less than OEM specified detailed wing inspections intervals for that location; will allow removal of this additional special inspection. Never the less - in either case, the inspection interval has to be worked out and submitted to the authorities (Damage Tolerant analysis - DER approval).
- If you do not have the loads or cyclic loading - than this is a good time to get acquainted with the OEM.
- For an added margin of safety - the blended location will have to be NDT crack checked; roto-peened & corrosion-resistance treated.
* Wing plank damage around cut-outs is regarded as significant damage - regardless how small the defect.

Peterson's text on stress concentration factors was, and still is, the bible for stress engineers. There
is a 3rd edition that I don't have since being retired for quite some time.
R. Roark's "Formulas for Stress and Strain" has some tables for concentration factors... not very complete.
G-pa Dave [pipe]

Thanks, guys.

The blend is at a systems penetration in a wing rib. To design, fatigue life is very high. Treating the blend as a chamfer around the entire circumference and calculating an effective plain hole diameter leads to a stress increase at the attachment holes - no problem. I am left however, with what to do at the blend. edmeister's reply indicates that it is not trivial.

StressMan

I remember the example for stress concentration superposition.
Considering the following case: 1) A hole in a plate 2) A notch at the edge of the hole
Stress concentration for each calculated separately.
1) Hole - Kt of 3
2) Notch - Kt of 2
Stress concentration superposition (assuming the notch is located at peak kt location of the hole - normal to loading direction)
Total kt = Hole kt x notch kt = 3 x 2 = 6 (Stress raises too much!)
For this case, chamfer can be assumed as notch, since chamfer is extended to the most of the thickness.

it's hard (for me) to see that much of the problem from the pic posted. It looks like it's protruding from a larger cut-out. If it's in the corner of this larger cut-out, that's going to be a problem. If there's a lot of shear, travelling around the larger cut-out, that's going to be a problem.

You might get somewhere if you consider the problem similar to a hole with a bump, and assume the Kt increases by the same ratio ... Kt = Kt_cut-out*Kt_circle_with_bump/Kt_circle

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back