Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress concentration near the boundary condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachin46

Marine/Ocean
Jun 12, 2013
IN
Dear all,
I am working on Solid model in ANSYS which is propeller. I have solved the model with fixed boundary condition at the bottom.
The stress contour of same model shows the stress concentration near to boundary condition. The reason for that is the sudden geometric variation in the model. i.e fillet weld is not modeled.
I am interseted to know what exactly happens near to boundary condition in terms of Finite element language.Does anybody helps me to understand I will appreaciate him/her.
Thanking you,
regards,
SACHIN46

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Remember St. Venant's principle...

As SWComposites notes,
there is no such thing as rigid boundary conditions or dirac delta point loads; but if one takes a representative volume sufficiently far from these boundary conditions or loads, it will asymptotically approach the actual behavior. I would reccommend that you do not extract the stress contour in the immediate vicinity of these boundary conditions which are not representative of reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back