Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress Concentration on shaft w/ tranverse hole 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

morris9791

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2008
GB
I currently have an FEA of a solid pin with a hole drilled perpendicular to shaft axis of rotation and located centrally long shaft length.

The shaft is subject to pure bending. Mesh refinement was performed on the hole feature until convergence. As expected stress concentrations occur on the tip of the hole.
Question:
In terms of fatigue, do I still need to determine a stress concentration factor to calculate life based on this working stress?
Currently our fatigue program only calculates life based on mean stress corrections with only surface finish correction factors. Is it necessary to have a stress factor in this case or doe FEA automatically take care of this?

My understanding is that stress concentration factors are only used when calculating theoretical stresses. Therefore FEA removes the need for factors.

Can anyone confirm dispute this?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In a sense you FEA is doing what traditional stress conc factors did. BUT you should check to see if the two methods result in similar estimates.
You do need to be concerned about the risk of mechanical damage to the hole or the edges of it. This can result in much higher local stress.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back