Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress Engineer: Mac vs PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

legersalazar

Aerospace
Dec 1, 2009
CA
Hello Forum,

I'm getting equipped to start doing some work from home, including FEM and my plan is to get a Mac desktop computer so I can run both Windows and Mac OS.

Have you guys had any issues with this? Do FEM software runs well on Mac?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Theoretically - should not be a problem.... they say....

My wife just got an Apple - and I am impressed!!! I have been using and "fighting" with Windows for years!!

I just got an I-phone. Somebody over at Apple knows what they are doing!!! Incredible machine!!

I would be concerned about any issues with graphics etc. Why pay more? Did they ever solve that "no right mouse button" issue?

Any self-respecting engineer/designer should construct a high power PC from components...sort of like a Jedi light saber.

Go with either one. I use both Mac and PC. There is no "right mouse issue", has been resolved almost a decade ago.
The Mac OS is much more stable and quicker. But there are some programs such as ADAMS that you can't get for Mac I believe. On the other hand 98% of the engineering software is not available for all OS's.
Just check what you want/need. If you want a reliable computer that will never crash and is quick, go with the Mac. If you want a cheap decent computer go with the PC.

[peace]
Fe

Do I get a prize because I have crashed a Mac?
Seems like I'm the only one (who will admit it).

PC's are expandable with much less hassle than a Mac. That used to be a big deal to me, then I realized that I was using my PC's until they quit, and just buying new ones. Expansion became moot.

Don't buy computer stuff because of the "cool" factor. You're getting it for work so just make sure it works.

These days I buy computers for backward compatability. Seriously! I have software written in the 1990's that's fully functional and more stable than current offerings from the same software company. I've tried upgrading several things and just go back in frustration. Other things upgrade and become even more pleasant to use. But I'm still stuck on Win XP because several crucial programs won't run on Vista in the form I have them, and the updated versions are offensive or over-complicated.

Steven Fahey, CET

It's like comparing a regular pencil to a stadler pencil.
My choice to do my work is the higher quality one most of the time.

What it comes down to is personal preference.

[peace]
Fe

I have to tend to agree with SparWeb.

XP was finally one of the first good operating systems out of Microsoft. I wrote and use a lot of software based on it.

NOW - you can't even buy XP - I don't think!!

None of my engineering software except my HP15C calculator emulator will run on a MAC. There are some engineering programs available on a MAC but they tend to only run on a MAC.

So like the OP said, you can buy the MAC but then you have to run windoze on it to do your engineering. What's the point? I don't think windoze is any more stable, faster or less bloated running on a MAC than a PC. Yeah, you can run the MAC OS for non engineering stuff but who cares? It's all a web browser for that stuff these days.

Real men run Unix.

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Funny, all of my engineering programs except one work on Mac.
I guess if you use specific programs like ANSYS you will have to use the (better) Comsol. [smile].ect..
Unix is great as well. Just the learning curve for beginners is steep comparatively to changing from Win to Mac.

[peace]
Fe

My first (office) job used a Linux network. Learned all the commands and how to tweak the "-" and "+" to get a file to open.

I may go back...

Some day it could be an advantage, if only to make it difficult for interlopers to use my computer!

Steven Fahey, CET

Steven, Linux has come a long way. I use the Ubuntu version of Linux at home. It is a fairly seamless and powerful operating system.

Many commercial netbooks and smart phones use open source operating systems and software. Open source in general is going mainstream.

.. but the open source Linux variant in Androids is not the same as the Linux you can download on-line for PCs.
It has always been a good OS. I have used it and still have it on an older comp. , haven't used it in a little while though.

[peace]
Fe

Linux: Are there spreadsheet programs similar to Excel, that can open Excel files? Recent readings on Slashdot tell me that the answer is still...
No!
Can I get around this by using OpenOffice.org?
maybe it will work... most of the time.
Does Autodesk have a product for the Linux platform?
No!
Can I get around this by using a WinXP emulator?
maybe it will work... most of the time.

So I'm not really thrilled with the choices, frankly.

Steven Fahey, CET

Office programs are seamless. Have been for quite some time.

There are many Cad clones out there.

But, in the end it probably isn't for everyone.

The point is, open source is overtaking sold software...it hasn't yet overtaken.

I use Bricscad on my PC... It's an AutoCAD work alike and is very good. There is a Linux version that I've just 'tinkered' with and it appears to be quite good too.

My Win7 'broke' my old copy of AutoCAD LT and it wouldn't work so I picked up Bricscad. It's half the price of LT and does nearly everything that AutoCAD 2010 does.

The electrical engineer in the next office uses an Apple running Win7 (I think, or XP) and locks up MS Office Word quite frequently.

Dik

Thanks for the tips Dik.

I've been doing some performance tests of the various computers I use at home and at work. Interesting how certain tasks like file I/0 are completely unaffected by operating system, bus speed, age, or whether the drive is IDE or SATA. The lack of any performance gain with SATA was quite a surprise. Make that disappointment.

Some analysis software like MathCAD 13 can take advantage of multi-processor CPU's, and the processing time on a large calc is literally cut in half on a dual-core versus a single Pentium.

I have some huge spreadsheets that I want to try. Another thing I can do with the spreadsheets is see what happens when I open them on my wife's iMac. That will be a fun comparison with all the Windoze I have here.

Steven Fahey, CET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back