Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress Error Fringe Plots

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvian

Aerospace
Aug 13, 2009
US
Hello,

I have been using pro mechanica for a couple of years now and have been dealing primarily with Dynamic Time and Dynamic Random analyses and would like to know if there is anyone out there that is utilizing the stress error fringe plots available in WF5 and Creo 1.0? The analyses I am running are getting a lot more complex and I am becoming increasingly unsure of my analysis convergence criteria. I have very little understanding of the stress error plots and how to use them. Conceptually I know the difference between local and global quantities as well as the different methods of normalization used by the analysis definition but not the interpretation. I have read as much literature as I can find online and through PTC support and knowledge base though there isn't very much out there to work with and none seemed to help.

Some of my current model's elements report stress errors of 50% to 150% when normalized by maximum element stress but less than 10% when normalized by maximum model stress. So far I have tended not to accept the maximum model stress normalization due to constraint and/or geometrical singularities that have not been excluded from the calculation.

Can anyone help provide some clarification or advice on the use of the stress error fringe plots and/or the use of the advanced control for SPA convergence? When I try to set lower targets in areas of interest my analyses never converge on those targets. At this point I worry about my lack of experience and understanding of these stress errors (though I am confident in my designs and I have some margin to play with) and am just wanting a little more fidelity for future works.

Thank you in advance for your help,

- jvian -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back