Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress on pin and bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wimpog

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2009
US
I am analysing a pin which rests through two holes in a bracket. The holes are .02 in wide and are slightly larger than the pin. The pin is subjected to a downward force in the middle (between the holes). I am intesrested in the stress where the pin meets the hole in both parts.

The problem I am having is that the more I refine the mesh, the higher the stress is, and it seems to be diverging at that point. Is there a way to get an accurate result for this type of problem?

I have "no penestration" contacts with surface to surface checked on all of the touching faces.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd imagine that as the pin is smaller than the hole then the pin will make a point contact with the inside of the hole. This will tend to infinite stress as force/area tends to infinity as area of contact tends to zero.

corus

yeah, this is what I suspected was happening. Does anyone know a way around that, or how to realistically model such a situation?

You could try including a pressure distribution instead of the pin contact. In your situation you have effectively modelled the contact as a point load. If the pin were the same size as the hole then you'd have a sinosoidal pressure distribution. Somewhere inbetween the two would give a better stress distribution, but in my view the best way is to ignore the high stress at the pin contact when assessing the overall stress distribution. Localised yielding due to a point load won't be detrimental to the overall structyral integrity of the component.

corus

I see, thank you very much for the help, that makes a lot of sense. My goal is to determine the breaking point of the pin, I can measure the stress due to bending in the middle of the pin, which I assume is pretty accurate, but I wonder if there is anyway to determine the actual stress on the pin at the junction. Perhaps this is just a limitation with SWS.

Is the point where the stress is diverging a corner? It likely is. What you need to do is create a small round on that corner and put a fine mesh on it, not the pin. Use a radius that is likely in real life. You are seeing the effect of a singularity at a corner.

Are you using node to node gaps or surface to surface?

CSWP
BSSE

"Node news is good news."

well, a fillet would remove the point stress that is down the length of the pin, but I think the circle contacting a circle would still be a single line of contact in the other direction.

I use surface to surface, but what is the difference?

Local yielding of course would give you a larger contact area and hence the real stress distribution could, in theory be calculated. However, I would imagine that the mesh required to capture that stress would make the model far too big. You'd be better looking at a theoretical solution, along the lines of herzian contact, if you wanted to know the stress at that point.

If you're only looking at the pin then why not do a simple hand calculation and treat the pin as a beam on simple supports where it makes contact with the outer lug(s). I suspect that a combination of bending and shear stresses will cause failure.

corus

You won't have a problem with line to line contact with a cylinder in a cylinder. Deflection of the material almost instantly transforms it to strip to strip. But at the end of the hole where the inner cylinder extends into space there is a singularity if the corner of the hole is sharp. Round that edge.

CSWP
BSSE

"Node news is good news."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back