Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stress Releive 12L14 Material during manufacturing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butch1946

Industrial
Dec 19, 2013
US
I have an application that I have a 4" Dia. Bar x 14" long that I first have a hole drilled thru to remove material. I then send it to Stress Relieve to remove residual
stresses in the Material. Will Stress Relieving help reduce the movement in this part during machining. I believe it will, but would like opinions for others.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ISTR that 12L14 is fairly soft as delivered.
If you are further annealing it as a precaution, it may just be moving because of the stress of machining.
Try to evaluate your actual machining stresses, and also try to measure the yield point of your stress relieved blank.

It's just possible that you're doing more harm than good with the stress relief, and you might be better off to eliminate that step and do the rough bore a little less aggressively than I'm assuming you are doing now.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

A 4" diameter bar is likely in the hot-rolled condition, so the residual stresses should be minimal. Stress relieving is usually not necessary unless the bar has been cold drawn or heavily machined.

I show 12L14 cold drawn up to 9 inches in my book. Like others have said, 12L14 is pretty stable unless you're trying to hold insane tolerances. Good sharp tooling and sensible feeds and speeds will help.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back