Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress relief of 316 or 2205 in amine service ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilkie

Chemical
Dec 23, 2002
US
Is PWHT necessary (or recommended) when using equipment & piping fabricated from 316SS or alloy 2205 in amine service (CO2 absorption)? There is a possibility that a small amount of chlorides may accumulate in the system which has me leaning toward 2205, but I can't seem to find an answer to the question of whether the equipment should be stress relieved after fabrication (either alloy).

The relatively high temperatures used to anneal stainless alloys raises the issue of vessel flange distortion and similar problems. Obviously I don't want to stress relieve the equipment if it's not warranted.

Does anyone have suggestions or a recommended industry practice for this application ?

Thanks,
Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are really worried about the chlorides then go with 2205.
Don't heat treat. You risk doing more damage than you will prevent.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Gents,

Thank you for the prompt replies. I had a copy of the Hydrocarbon Processing article you mentioned, and it is an example of why I turned to this forum for help. The article provides good information on corrosion mechanisms and the benefits of stress relief, but doesn't specifically indicate that stress relief is not required for stainless steels.
Several other references I had were also a little vague on the subject, and is why I came to this forum to get an opinion from the experts in the field.

Thanks again for the help,
Steve

They are right, 316 and 2205 are not susceptible to amine SCC. In addition, these stainless steels have very low tendency to chloride SCC in amine because the alkaline nature of the amine solution is not favorable for cracking. It has been said that pH should be lower than 6 to have significant risk of cracking. Some studies have demonstrated 300-series stainless are resistant to Cl SCC in amine in as high as 1000 ppmw chlorides.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back