Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress Relief of carbon steel piping in amine service for CO2 removal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskerman47

Petroleum
Apr 18, 2012
US
Do any of the codes require DEA amine carbon steel piping to be stress relieved in either the rich or lean amine streams when removing only CO2?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, 'the codes' do not get down to specific environments. They charge the responsible party with being cognisant of the need for PWHT to address service conditions. Other documents, such as API RP 945, will give recommendations but not requirements.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Amines are one of those fluids that seem to be one of those automatic 'stress relieve' triggers.

The ethylene plant I worked in removed CO2 from the feed ethane using MEA. We ended up having to replace both CS towers, CS heat exchanger shells and all the CS piping due to cracks. The cracks were extensive enough on the regenerator we had to reduce the PSVs to less than 15 psig to make it a non-code vessel. The original design did not call for stress relieving of carbon steel though I don't know the reason.

You could try talking to the amine vendors and see if they can supply you some contacts with people using the same amine you are considering to remove only CO2 to see what their experience is. Personally, I would be leary of not stress relieving the piping and equipment.

PWHT of carbon steel components in amine service is not a code requirement but is highy and widely recommended to prevent Amine Stress Corrosion Cracking.

API 571 is a good source of information and there are numerous publications that support this.

I most definitely would want PWHT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back