Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stress-strain curves for engineering metals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisstandring

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2012
NZ
Hi All,

I am looking for stress-strain test data curves for commonly used engineering metals - such as carbon steels, alloy steels, stainless steels, aluminium alloys, etc. I wish to build a database of these so I can use them in non-linear finite element analyses.

There is scant data on the net other than esoteric research papers or generic education material with no specifics. I was wondering if anybody could help or point me to a reliable source.

Cheers,

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you don't care how accurate they are just take what you can get.
If you want it to match your materials then ask suppliers for real test curves.
There may be typical curves, but they vary a lot.
And you asked for a hundred of them.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Thanks Ed. I thought there was no harm in asking... If you don't ask then you won't know...

We usually get mill certificates from suppliers as required but they don't normally include actual stress-strain curves. I can always ask the question...

Thanks again.

Need to purchase ASME Handbooks to get authentic data.

Else try Mechanical Metallurgy text books like Dieter where they have some from ASME handbooks.

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

We has some customer that had it written into their POs to supply test curves.
No problem it you know up front.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Do a search for AR-MMPDS. That is the standard aircraft materials database. You have to pay for the current version, but old versions should be out there for free - it used to be free when it was managed by the FAA. It has a lot of stress strain curves for a variety of metals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back