Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress Strain Curves 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theanalyst

Automotive
Feb 1, 2003
US
Hi, where can I find stress strain curves for most of the alloy steels in one place, like SAE and AISI steels, tool steels (high strength) etc.? Are there any free internet sources available for them or would I have to buy a book? If the source would also include stress strain curves after some common material treatments like case hardening or gas nitriding etc.. that would be even better. Thanks. Sunny.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The simplest way of applying stress-strain curves for steels is to assume ideal elastic-plastic conditions, ie. take the Young's Modulus value and assume linear up to the quoted value of yield stress, which should be readily available, and then from the 0.2% strain point assume that the material is perfectly plastic.

I understand the application of a simple elastic plastic stress strain curve. But what I'd like to know is a source for the stress strain curves for steels, especially accounting for heat treatments. The yield point can vary depending on the treatment etc. even for the same steel. Any tips? Thanks for taking the time to respond to my first message. Sunny.

Theanalyst: Some of these might not have the degree of specificity stated in your query, but they might be worth a try.

(1) Metals data including stress-strain and S-N curves. Select "Metals Handbook, MIL-HDBK-5H" at .

(2) Stainless steel stress-strain curves in App. A, p. 18, in (0.50 MB).

(3) Metals database (?), .

(4) Steel sheet metal stress-strain curves (but I don't recognize the alloy names) in App. II in (2.3 MB). Huge download, most of which is NOT stress-strain curves.

(5) Polymer stress-strain curves, .

To disable pop-up windows and decrease load time at above and other sites, I turn off javascript for certain (or all) URLs. I saw this tip explained at .

(6) Mild steel (ASTM A36M) stress-strain curve, stress in units of MPa as a function of strain, with Boolean coefficients, where &quot;<=&quot; means &quot;less than or equal to,&quot; and &quot;>=&quot; means &quot;greater than or equal to.&quot;

sign(x) = if(x<0,-1,1).
sigma[sub]A36[/sub](x) = 0 + (|x|<=0.00125)(200000x) + (|x|>0.00125)(|x|<0.011)(sign(x))(250) + (|x|>=0.011)(|x|<0.232)(sign(x))(196.858 + 5399*|x| - 54375x^2 + 256000*|x|^3 - 503000x^4).

(7) ASM, Atlas of Stress-Strain Curves, 2 ed., 2002, .

Theanalyst: Here's another one, in case it might be useful.

(8) Steel, stainless steel stress-strain curves. Select Section &quot;B4.5.6&quot; or &quot;B4.5.5&quot; at . The stress-strain curves are the &quot;k = 1.0&quot; curves appearing only in the charts labeled &quot;Minimum Plastic Bending Curves&quot; (two views, close up and far away), so page down until you find these charts. These plots are indexed and explained in the Sect. &quot;B4.5.0&quot; download file (on pp. 4, 5, and 35).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back